You started out with an idea. Now, you’re very excited to get your business started. You are willing to take risks like a career shift; but now it’s time to think about what you need to set up before you launch yourself to a full blast entrepreneur. There are challenges to getting your own business started especially if you have limited capital or worse, zero money.
You can definitely get your business of the ground even with little or no money. If you have an innovative idea then don’t let your financial condition stop you. Yes, there may be hardships along the way like sleepless nights or getting stressed but those who want success bad enough will certainly work their way up to get it.
Access to funding can still be a problem. The banks are reluctant to lend to start ups, a tough economic climate makes it hard to borrow from friends and family, and funding it on your credit card comes with big risks. If you do need some cash, government-backed Start-up loans are for people who’ve been turned down by banks. But funding isn’t always necessary. The good news is that providing you follow a few basic rules, starting a business with almost no money is entirely possible. Here’s how to start a business with no money:
- Start a business around your skills. What can you do that someone else might be prepared to pay for? Can you make clothes, paint and decorate, programme a computer, speak Italian? Do you have a hobby you could turn into a business? If you possess a skill that other people don’t, or would need to invest time and money learning for themselves, that immediately puts you at a big advantage.
- Do everything by yourself. Plough virtually all income straight back into the business. Thankless and austere, yes, but also the only way you will be able to build up enough cash reserves to invest in new equipment or premises, and so grow the business.
- Request for upfront payments. You can start with half upfront, half later, so that your costs are always covered. Late payments are one of the biggest causes of business failure, so make sure you have a plan for getting cash in quickly from the start.
- Use technology or the internet to promote your business for free. Build a website for using an online website builder such as moonfruit.com, wix.com or basekit.com. Then get social networking. It’s free, it’s easy, and it’s an amazing way of promoting your business without spending any money. Sign up to Twitter, create a Facebook page, and join LinkedIn.
- Hold on to your current job while stabilizing your business. A surefire solution to the question of how to start a business with no money is to start your business in your spare time and only give up your day job once your venture is able to pay you a wage. If the venture doesn’t work out, you still have your job. If it does, the transition to being your own boss will be a lot less risky.
Success in business is not about starting out with lots of money or investment capital. It is about adopting the right attitude, thinking your way around problems, and having the determination to put the effort in and give it your best shot. It’s all about never giving up and having the grit to follow through on your goals. You can be successful in a business even with no money – you just have to start the hustle today.